What is Rapalytics?
Rapalytics is a website that I built in 2015 to visualize a suite of analytics extracted from Rap lyrics. It was built off about 10k songs from 150 different artists using D3 & Django. I haven't maintained it since 2015 so its pretty dated (it's still running on Python 2.7 🙃). However, at the time, one of the visualizations got some coverage in pop media and here are some links referring the project.
- "Dr. Dre is the most profane rapper ever" - Vox
- Who’s the most potty-mouthed rapper in the world? Apparently it’s Dr Dre… - Metro
- The Quiet Revolution of Rap Music and LGBT Rights - Attn:
- 10 rappers your mom could listen to - Deseret News
- 10 Years Ago, Kanye West Took One of His Boldest Stands to Ban These Words From Hip-Hop - Mic
- ... google should reveal more
A reference I personally like the most was the wikiHow article on "How to Be a Famous Rapper" that cites an article I wrote exploring some basic surface-level analytics between underground & mainstream rappers 😊
The site itself has no explicit references to me and I cooked up a couple of anthropomorphic animals as the creators. Why? Because I thought it would be funny 🙃 while also escaping any reader bias from knowledge of my identity. This was my first foray into web development so while I haven't looked at it in years, it still is my baby and I might just hack around a bit when I get some time 🚀